Thursday 6 February 2014

Back to School

It's been a very busy week with all of us going back to school.  I started back on Monday, Harri and Kobe started yesterday, and Jalen started back today.  The boys had two days at home on their own, while I was at work.  I had been talking a lot to them about how things are going to get busy again once I start working, and how they need to remember to help me more around the house, as I can't do everything on my own.

I was shocked to get home after my first day back at work to an absolutely spotless house (definitely not the way I left it in the morning) and this note and chocolate on my bed! I couldn't believe that the boys had done all the house work and they were so proud of themselves and happy to show me what they had done.  The next day I noticed Jay getting the clothes off the line without me asking him.  My boys are far from perfect (some days I want to strangle them!) but it meant so much to me to know that they realised how much it would mean to me if they helped out around the house more.  I doubt it'll last all year, but at least it's a good start. 
Kobe is so excited to be going to school full time.  I know that if I wasn't working I would probably feel really sad, because we love having days at home together, but I'm happy for both of us since I have work to keep me busy.  I have been stirring him for weeks asking what I'm going to do without him and he looks at me like I'm crazy and says 'you'll see me at work Mum!!'.  I then ask him what I'm going to do without him to have sushi dates with, and he says 'we can go on Saturday' :) 

We have had lovely long sleep ins all summer holidays, so I knew we would be struggling to get back into the school routine again, but Kobe was up nice and early and was dressed before everyone. He couldn't wait to get to school.  Apparently his bottom lip started quivering just as class started, and he was ready to have a bit of a cry, but once class got started he settled and was happy and has been ever since.    He is in a Prep/1 class.

Harri was also very excited about starting school.  He is in grade 4 this year and is so excited about his new teacher.   He loves school so much and loves to do his best, so I know he will have a great year.  He has been very teary the last few weeks, and especially the last couple of days.  He is missing Aaron and Noah a lot. I think he is the same as me as he just wants to come home and tell Aaron about his day.  It's all those little things that you miss the most.

It was so nice to be able to walk the boys to school and drop them off in their classes, and then start work.  I couldn't wait for the students to start at school.  I was so excited to see the kids I am teaching English to, and they have surprised me with how much English they have remembered and learnt over the summer holidays.

They are the most beautiful kids, and are just so happy.   They are all still very quiet and are not confident in initiating conversations, but amaze me with how much they have learnt in just six months.  It's fun as we try to communicate with each other and learn from each other.  I often ask them what the word for something is in Farsi, and they laugh and love telling me what it is.    I am so happy to be teaching them and think I have the best job ever.

I'm also working on Fridays back at Noah's old (special) school Newstead Heights .  It will be strange but great to go back and work there as a teacher, rather than a Teacher Aide.  I'm excited to see the kids regularly again.   I feel very lucky to be able to work at two schools, and to be working with such special kids at both schools.   I hate not being able to come home to tell Aaron about my day. There's just so much I want to talk to him about, and I know he would understand my excitement, because he loved teaching so much.  I hope he's watching and is happy that I'm teaching again.
On the first day I was out in the playground and saw Harri and Kobe finding each other to play with.  I'm not sure how long it'll last, but Kobe is so excited to tell me that he has played with Harri and his friends both days.   Kobe is so excited that he's allowed to go and play anywhere he wants in the big playground! It's such a change from the little yard in Kinder.  Today Kobe told me he had the 'worst day ever' as he couldn't find his friends to play with, and he finally found Harri and then the bell went. 
Jay isn't quite as excited as his brothers about going back to school, but he wasn't dreading it either.  Grade 7 was hard for him in many ways, but last year things started to settle down a lot and he actually started to enjoy school in the end.  It's nice to see him happy to go to school, and to hear him say that he wants to try to do well.  He has also started 'seminary' this year, which is a scripture study class which is held every morning at church before school and is for students from grades 9-12.  He has only been a couple of days, but thinks he is going to enjoy it, and it's nice to see his friends from church each morning.  They all go to different schools around town, so it's nice they can see each other every day, and not just on Sunday.
After seeing a cute video on Rachel's blog here, I thought it was a lovely idea to do at the beginning of the school year each year, to see how the boys have changed.  This was my interview with the boys about how they were all feeling about starting school.  I hope it's going to be a great year at school for all of us.

2 comments:

  1. You have beautiful children and I love hearing them talk (since I'm from the USA and I love a great accent). It was fun to see their personalities as well. Jalen looks SO very much like you. All three are very handsome young me. Blessings on this new school year! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute post Lisa. I got a laugh with the interviews...they probably never stop talking but the minute you start with the questions it's time to clam up. Typical boys, I suppose. Good Luck on the new school year and your job.

    ReplyDelete

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...