Tuesday 6 August 2013

It's a Girl!

My boys have been begging me to get them a dog ever since Aaron passed away.  Jalen became really persistent about six months ago and kept telling me how much a dog would help him.  The debate about whether we should get a dog has gone on and on.

I'm not an animal person at all and have been totally against getting a dog.  I was mostly worried that the novelty would wear off for the boys, and then I would be caring for the dog all the time on my own.    Since moving to our new house, things have started to settle down a bit for me and I feel on top of things a lot more as I was feeling really stressed living in our old house with so many memories of Aaron and Noah there, which just made me feel so sad.   I then started to consider that getting a dog may be good for the boys and also for myself, and started to look up information about different breeds of dogs just out of curiosity.

When we went to stay with my brother Christian in Sydney recently Harri absolutely fell in love with his labrador puppy Tess.  He was devastated when we had to leave her and has been begging me since to get him a dog for his birthday which is in September.  He would crack me up as he would send me funny messages from his iPod when I was out asking me to go to the pet shop to buy a dog.
After getting back from Sydney  I really started to think about getting a dog seriously.  I saw how happy the boys were when they were spending time with Tess in Sydney and knew that even though a dog may be a bit of work and we would obviously have expenses associated with having a dog, I could see it would (hopefully) be worth it all to have another member in our family who could bring us lots of joy.

When looking at breeds of dogs I kept going back to the labradoodle.  I did a lot of investigating and decided it was time to seriously take a look at them.  I told our friend Alison that I was thinking about getting one and asked her if she wanted to come and look at them with me, at the Tasmanian Labradoodles breeding facility.   

The owner Paul was really lovely and spent about an hour with us showing us around and showing us all the different dogs. We were very impressed.  They look after their dogs so well and he knew all of the parents names, even though there were so many of them.

He showed us where the smallest puppies were kept while they were still with their mothers and showed us some puppies that had just been born before we got there. They were so tiny and cute.
 Kobe was with us and had no clue we were looking to buy a puppy for us as we kept telling him Alison was thinking about getting one.  He kept saying 'all of these puppies are so cute Mum! We should get one!'. 

I saw a few older puppies on the website that had been discounted and were interested in having a look at them.  At first I was thinking that I would like a cream girl, but when we got there I actually loved the look of a beautiful older brown girl.   As soon as I saw her I could tell that she was much more placid than a lot of the other puppies and knew straight away that she was the one I wanted.  I organised with the owner which day I would come back to pick her up and Kobe still had no idea that we had just bought a puppy!   All week I was busting to tell the boys that we would be getting a dog, but I wanted to surprise them and I had to wait till I got back from Sydney to get her.

It was strange seeing on their website that they had updated their page and had put my name next to the puppy I had chosen. This photo was taken when she was six weeks old, but she is now five months old. 

Yesterday they emailed me an updated photo of our puppy and I was so excited that I was tempted to tell the boys last night. I just couldn't wait to see their reaction when they realised we would be getting a dog.  All week I had been sneaking out buying different things for her and hiding them in the garage.  I had definitely come around from never wanting a dog!
Last night I told the boys that I had to drop off Alison at a friend's house after school today as she had to leave her car in town for her sister.  I told them it was out of town a little way, so I wanted them all to come with me for a drive, rather than staying home.  Both Harri and Jay were complaining as they wanted to stay home, but I told them they had to come. 

Once we got to the Tasmanian Labradoodles property Kobe recognised where we were and said 'this is the labradoodle place!'.  The boys still didn't catch on and were still thinking we were dropping off Alison at 'her friend's house'.  When we got out of the car Alison started her camera rolling and I told the boys what was happening.  This was the result :) Kobe was worried about the dogs barking and at first he said he didn't want her, but when he realised she was quiet he decided she wasn't so bad.  He was also worried because they 'cost too much money' as that's what I kept telling him last week when he said he wanted to buy one. 
We are now the proud owners of a gorgeous five month old female labradoodle.  There was a lot of debating on the way home about what her name would be, but we finally agreed on 'Milly'.  She is beautiful and so placid and happy already.  Because she is older she has had a lot of extra training which I think is going to make settling her in so much easier. 

There are some very happy boys in our house tonight.   It's so nice to see them smile.

30 comments:

  1. Oh my! The smiles on your boys' faces are truly priceless. They look so happy! It looks like you found the "perfect" one for you also. Enjoy that puppy. Dogs truly are a wonderful part of the family!!! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Lisa, that whole post is just adorable. I just loved seeing how happy and excited your children were when they realised that this was their dog. Been sitting here with tears in my eyes .... just enjoying the happiness. I love Labradoodles ..... they are such gorgeous dogs. I can't have a dog, but I would love one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Harri's reaction reminded me so much of Aaron :) Millie is one very lucky dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful smiles on your faces Lisa! So happy you found the right dog for your family!! Jenn (JDRan76 from Instagram :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness he is so adorable and the video your friend took is priceless! I especially love the part where Harri jumps up in your arms to give you a hug. Very sweet! we are in the same predicament and are really trying to decide if we want to do the same thing...decisions!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a truly beautiful moment for you all. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The video was priceless! You won't regret it. Labs are the greatest & smartest dogs. I have been stalking your blog since before Noah & Aaron passed & am so happy to see the smiles on your faces. You are a wonderful writer & such a stronger woman.
    I love seeing pictures from Australia & hope someday that I can visit there from San Antonio TX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa,
    Thank you for sharing these moments on your blog. I was grinning like a fool! Harri's reaction brought tears to my eyes. I hope you will post some Milly-grams on instagram in the future!

    Mary from USA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that made my day. What a great addition to your family- and I love that you have another girl in the family now! Dogs are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy for you and your family's new Baby Girl! :) So cute and fun. Enjoy Milly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was beautiful - I want a dog but my husband doesn't so I am jealous

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah! I have been waiting for this post! So glad you made the leap and got a dog. She looks very sweet and will bring lots of love and joy to your home. Thank you for sharing the video. Harri stole the show...I like how he jumped on you and gave you kisses and then when he said he couldn't talk because he would cry. Congrats to all of you! Lisa in Oregon, USA

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's beautiful. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely moment, captured forever. You won't regret this decision, Lisa. Milly will bring much-needed joy and healing to your family for many years. Our family dog was my best friend as a kid and then into my teenage years; she was always there for me through thick and thin. You have given your boys the most precious gift. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. and one very beautiful and very special little dog too..all that love...for one little dog..all that family to love her to bits...Loved all the boys comments..a dream come true for them all...what an awesome Mum you are Lisa XXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are crazy and awesome! love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful news, so happy for all of you. Congratulations on the arrival of your little girl Milly, she's just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't see the video for some reason :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh so happy to see them so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't see the video either !! ( on an iPad?)
    Congrats though, a daughter....she has your eyes!!
    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  21. That made my heart sing,I am so happy for you all and totally envious.
    all she needs now is a gold collar and harness and she will be a Hawks dog.
    Love Mum.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. You made an awesome choice. I have a five year old Labradoodle and he's the sweetest, most gentle natured dog I've ever had (and I've had a lot). Plus she wont shed! When you get a chance, there's a group on Facebook called I Love My Labradoodle - people post their pictures of their dogs, ask questions re training/grooming etc and just generally talk all things labradoodle related! It's really fun :)
    Enjoy!!
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lisa,

    I was so happy to read your post on your new addition to the family. I'm not sure who is luckier, Milly or you and the boys. I suspect all of you. Congrats and I look forward to more stories.

    ReplyDelete
  24. eeeee, I started crying when Harry jumped up into your arms. This IS THE BEST. Good job Alison for going along! So awesome! Im smiling xxxxx Now I better go take my puppy for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!!! I'm so happy and excited for you and your boys! She is so beautiful and unique. Yay for all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing! It was amazing to "hear" your voices! Love, love your new pup! She is a beaut.
    My Dad passed away in Sept and I got a dog - I call him my therapy dog! He is amazing therapy.
    I am not sure how I came across your blog, but have been reading since Noah passed away. I love your writing, your are gifted.
    Please know that my family and I send you healing hugs across the Big Pond.
    Brad & Karen
    Lauren & Dana
    and Crosby (he's a Yorkie)
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  27. That was so lovely, thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I luv that picture of all of you!!! You all look so happy! There is just something special about dogs...they love you no matter what and it is so nice to come home and know she is there just waiting for you :) Enjoy your sweet pup and you are all still in my prayers. Hugs from Nebraska

    ReplyDelete
  29. okay this made me cry! i am so happy for you! i just knew from personal experience how much happiness a dog brings to a house, we got our now 9 month old cockapoo on January 5th, my mum wasn't sure and she is completely in love with him, honeymoon period hasn't worn off for us yet! milly is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so great!! My reaction was similar to many others in so much that I was smiling from ear to ear and crying happy tears at sweet Harri's hug and kisses for you! You are an incredible mother and I think about your situation and your attitude often. That video is so tender and so priceless! I am so very very happy for the cute family in Australia whose blog I have become attached to.

    ReplyDelete

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...