Sunday 29 July 2012

Olympic Fever

For weeks my boys have been counting down to the Olympics.   Aaron absolutely loved the Olympics. It was one of his favourite times ever and depending on time differences, he would get up at all hours of the morning to watch his favourite sports and athletes compete live.  Of course he didn't always just go for Australia, and loved watching a lot of the athletes from other countries.  He was very 'unAustralian' like that at times :) Aaron even mentioned watching the Olympics with Noah in his talk at Noah's funeral.

Yesterday morning I recorded the beginning of the opening ceremony as I wasn't keen enough to wake up at 5.30 am.  When we woke up we started watching it from the beginning and the boys were so excited.   It's so strange to me that I can cry about Aaron at random times.  During the week a friend who has been away asked if I spend time sitting at the cemetery, and have a good cry at times.  I have only really done that once or twice just after Aaron passed away, which even I am surprised about as I thought that would be the place I would have a good cry.

Instead I'm surprised that it's the little things that make me cry - like when I'm out shopping and I see something nice in the men's section that I know Aaron would've loved and for a split second I start thinking about going over to have a look for him, and then I remember.

Yesterday morning was another one of those times. I found myself with tears streaming down my face as I watched the opening ceremony, and thought about how much Aaron would've loved it.  Kobe however was crying because he couldn't understand why the soccer and swimming wasn't on right then, and wanted to watch them.

Jalen finally got up, so we showed him the part with the Queen going in the helicopter as I knew he would love it, and he thought it was hilarious.

Last night we had an Olympic ward activity at church.  Harri and Kobe were so excited and loved being a part of the torch relay.

Jay then got to light the couldron - it wasn't quite as spectucular as the one in London, but almost! ;)

We were put into four teams.  We were happy being in the pink team :)



There were lots of different fun events and the boys had the best time.



Even the King got into the events and was a pro on the balance beam ;) Our Bishop is a great sport.

 A couple of the medal ceremonies.



The boys are loving the Olympics already and aren't liking the time difference as it's hard to catch any events live because they are in bed.  I'm sure Aaron is loving that they love the Olympics (almost) as much as him.

3 comments:

  1. That's a great post. Gave me a good laugh seeing the chairs used as a dais. Very funny. Looks like it would have been a fun night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Olympics looks like lotsa fun!

    I cried on and off through the first theatrical bit and it wasn't grief related at all! I was choked up as soon as it started and tears came when the suffragettes were shown and my 9yo thought I was nuts I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what he thought of the boys losing the 4x100 freestyle!!! :) they talk about sending a hero fax to your Olympic heroes. Well I know some heroes right here in Tassie. Xxx

    ReplyDelete

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...